Beekeeping is both an art and a science. Technology has played a role in improving beekeeping methods over the years. We all know that honey is the primary product. But there is one essential fact about honey that a beekeeper should be aware of before extracting it: its water content. Previously, there was no method or equipment for determining the quality of honey. Thank goodness for the honey refractometer. This wonderful gadget has forever altered the beekeeping sector.
How important is the water content of honey?
The water content of honey impacts its capacity to keep fresh. In general, the lower the water content of honey, the better the honey is. The recommended water content in honey before extraction is less than 20%, although it is not recommended to have a honey water content that is too low. Honey will crystallize if the water content is very low. So, it should be at the appropriate level.
Consider it to be similar to chemistry. The formula’s success is dependent on precise levels of solution. Even the smallest error can lead to a disaster. A minor inaccuracy in measuring the water volume and nutrient content of honey could jeopardize the quality of your honey products.
What is a Honey Refractometer?
Refractometers are used by beekeepers to determine the water content and nutrient grade of honey. It is simple to use; just a few drops will provide reliable readings. Brix is a unit of measurement for honey’s nutritional content. Higher Brix values indicate a higher nutritional grade. As a result, the greater the Brix percentage in food, the more nutritious the food is. When using a refractometer, the Brix and honey water content % function in opposite ways. To obtain a high-quality honey product, the honey water content must be low while the Brix percentage must be high.
There are numerous honey refractometers on the market, each with enticing characteristics. It may take some time to find a refractometer that meets your requirements if you are looking for one. This list of the top honey refractometers will help you decide.
Top 8 Best Honey Refractometers
1. V-Resourcing 0-90% Brix Meter Refractometer
It is a very adaptable piece of equipment that can be used for sugar measurement, sweetness categorization, delivery inspection, and so on. It features a Brix scale ranging from 0 to 90%. The refractometer has an Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) feature with a temperature range of 10 to 30 degrees Celsius. It is quite simple to use. Simply place two to three droplets of liquid sample on the prism, cover it with the daylight plate, and look through the eyepiece to see the results.
- Utilized in the production of honey, drinks, fruits, food, sugar, and other products
- It is very easy to use
- Packaging dimension of 8.07 x 3.29 x 2.17 inches and weighs 7.83 ounces
- This kit includes a calibrating screwdriver, a pipette, a cleaning cloth, an instruction handbook, and a sturdy plastic case.
- This product is not water-resistant
2. TekcoPlus Optics Honey Sugar Moisture Brix Baume Refractometer
This is a portable, handled device used mostly for honey production. It can determine the sugar content (up to 90% Brix), Baume, and moisture concentration. It can also be used to weigh other high-sugar liquids such as jelly, marmalade, and syrup. Its application can regulate and monitor sugar content in food and beverages. The TekcoPlus Refractometer has a measuring range of 58 to 90% Brix, 38 to 43 Be’ Baume, and 12 to 27% water content
- It is quite simple to use.
- The package includes the refractometer, a manual, a screw driver, two pipettes, a reference block, a cleaning cloth, 2-milliliter Dioptric Oil for calibration, a portable USB LED light, and a protective case.
- It can help determine the best time to harvest maple syrup.
- Scale of use restrictions
3. Vee Gee Scientific BX-3 Handheld Refractometer
The Vee Gee Scientific BX-3 is a water-resistant, portable refractometer. It has a Brix scale ranging from 58.0 to 92.0 percent. It is powered by ambient light, so no external power source is required. This equipment has a manual temperature adjustment, a strong metal body with a rubber grip, and an optical glass prism. This equipment’s manual temperature compensation offers an ambient temperature range of 10 to 30 degrees Celsius. The Vee Gee BX-3 measures 140 millimeters in height, 40 millimeters in length, and 40 millimeters in width. It weighs 230 grams.
- Water-resistant refractometer
- No additional power source is needed
- There’s also a non-roll stand to prevent the tool from rolling
- It is also capable of liquid standard calibration
- There are no restrictions
4. Aqueous Lab Honey Refractometer for Honey Moisture
Because of its efficient qualities, this equipment is one of the most perfect refractometers on the market. It also has Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) for faster readings. This refractometer is largely made of chromium, which makes it lightweight and durable. This gadget makes measuring liquids simple. To get the measurements, simply lay a few droplets on the optical portion, cover the prism, and gaze through the eyepiece while focusing against the light.
When purchased, the refractometer comes with a strong plastic casing, a cleaning cloth, a suction tube, a calibration screw driver, and an operating instructions handbook.
- This refractometer is very light weighing only 3.7 ounces.
- It also has Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) for faster readings.
- This refractometer is largely made of chromium, which makes it lightweight and durable.
- There are no restrictions
5. Rhino Honey Digital Refractometer
The refractometer can be used by both novice and experienced beekeepers in beekeeping. The refractometer is white with blue accents around the edges. Its shell is comprised of a waterproof and shockproof material. This refractometer will not be harmed by accidental falls or drops into water. It is long-lasting and provides accurate readings immediately. The refractometer is tiny enough to put in your pocket and isn’t too big to grasp in your hand. You will be given a full operation user guide handbook so that you can use this refractometer with ease.
- Accurately measure the water content of your honey
- Excellent for determining the sugar level in liquids such as honey, jellies, and jams.
- Using it is easy
- It accurately reads moisture content of between 5 and 38%.
- Because this refractometer is not rechargeable, you will need to replace the battery on a regular basis.
6. Azzota Honey Tester Refractometer
The refractometer is a portable, handheld refractometer with a honey water content range of 13 to 25%. It is powered by ambient light, so no external power source is required. It has Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) and a strong aluminum body construction. In addition to the Azzota refractometer, the package contains a cleaning cloth, a suction tube for dropping test fluids on the prism, a tiny screwdriver for scale calibration, and a user handbook.
- Simple design
- User-friendly application.
- Not require external power source
- It would be difficult to function without light
7. MISCO BKPR-1 Palm Abbe Digital Handheld Refractometer
To deliver precise measurements, the MISCO BKPR-1 has an Automatic Temperature Compensation feature. This device also has a stainless steel sample well, a protective evaporation cover, a big LCD that can display up to 24 characters, a display backlight, and a protective rubber armor jacket, in addition to the MISCO Optical-Engine Technology that delivers high-definition displays. This exceptional gadget raises the bar for accurate honey water content tests. It even outperforms the specifications for refractometers used to check and grade honey.
- Easy to use
- Has automatic temperature compensation feature
- Inspecting and grading honey correctly
- Only suitable for professional beekeepers.
8. Ade Advanced Optics Brix Refractometer for Honey
It is a great tool for determining the sugar level in wine, beer, fruits, vegetables, and honey. The refractometer is also possible to read in Specific Gravity. Its Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) function ensures precision. It is simple to operate and calibrate. Two to three drops of liquid sample are all that is needed on the prism. For a clearer view of the results, the eyepiece incorporates an adjustable focus option. It operates on ambient lighting, eliminating the need for a battery or power source.
- It has a measurement range of 58 to 90% Brix
- Easy to use and easy to calibrate
- One of the most long-lasting refractometers on the market
- Removing the need for a battery or other power source
- It would be difficult to function without light
These refractometers provide accurate gadgets to beekeepers and others in the food industry to help them sustain and grow their businesses. Even if you are a novice, you should think about your options ahead of time to prepare for the future. This is a list of the best honey refractometers. These gadgets were created to provide the greatest and most accurate measurements possible. If you’re new to beekeeping, these tips can help you get started. It’s also true for seasoned beekeepers who produce significant amounts of honey.
>>> Read more: Best Honey Extractors Review 2021